Friday, January 7, 2011

John Pack in L'Etoile du Deseret

It's been a privilege to dip into the depths of a French-language publication so conscientiously composed in Paris by the great John Taylor when given the challenge of the new France mission around 1850--and find, among other things, the full transcription (or rather, translation to French) of an address John Pack gave, which gives wonderful insights and angles perhaps no-one had heretofore experienced and which will surely enrich the new book I'm so glad is being prepared.

I feel really blessed to have had this opportunity, and that on-line, thanks to those good folks at the new Church History Library in Salt Lake, who put the entire volume of issues on www.archive. org, with an "instant index" as well. Had this not been the case, if they'd even allowed me this much access (as no copies are allowed of this rare and precious book) I'd have had to translate and note everything I wanted in the special room of the library, if indeed I had been able to locate it among the 250+ pages! Wow! Aren't we blessed? (And their newly-designed catalog is a joy to use.)

1 comment: