Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dear Old Tabernacle

The Provo Tabernacle, designed with love and practicality by our Pioneers as a commodious and convenient gathering place for large numbers of the Saints, has functioned remarkably well from those early times until our own. I'm sure we all have poignant memories from the hours spent within its walls. Here are my favorites.

The cosy, sandwiched-in experience of reaching the heavens chorusing Handel's glorious "Messiah" on a wintry December evening. And the swelling tones of the great organ when played by a master.

The glowing warmth of the communal Spirit one frigid winter night when we were participating in the live Nativity.

Enjoying a very special measure of the Spirit surrounding stake conferences. One spring when I went out back to enjoy the warm sun between choir rehearsal and the conference, I was arrested by the wondrous beauty of some irises in a small bed there. As He had once before through beloved flowers, Heavenly Father witnessed something to me through a supernatural glow in these gorgeous blooms--something about his welcoming acceptance of my service that morning.

On another occasion at the same point in proceedings I was sitting alone and completely relaxed in my very favorite position in the Tabernacle--the front choir seats, gazing down towards that glorious painting by Minerva Teichert that was on the back wall. There was an open door to a small room to the right of the painting, and my eye fell on the beautiful, guava-pink upholstered chair at the entrance to it. The sunlight from a window was pouring down upon it. At that moment I became aware that one of our pioneer forebears had graced us with his presence and was sitting in that chair at that moment. How grateful I was and am for the special dispensation of being able to experience this.

I'm sure we all have glowing and unforgettable experiences connected with this precious edifice.* Certainly those who originally worked on it must be weeping in heaven at its demise.

With love, Grandma

*perhaps the spiritual ones were enhanced/received in accordance with our willingness to prepare ourselves for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment